How does Cortes Island respond in a disaster? Who does what? How do we communicate with who? Do we have enough food? Fresh water?
Come learn this weekend and find out what to expect and how to be prepared!
Cortes Island Emergency Preparedness and Awareness Weekend May 27 and 28, 2017May 27 Emergency simulation Table Top exercise
10:00 at the Elementary School in Manson's Landing
A first hand opportunity for Cortes Islanders to see our Volunteer Fire Department, Ambulance, Emergency Support Services and Emergency Communications Teams cooperate during an emergency event. This “observation only” fabricated disaster exercise is a chance for the teams to demonstrate what they do. A discussion will be held at the end of the event to answer community questions.May 27 Movie – Before the Flood
19:00 at Manson's Hall
Look forward to an evening of education and awareness brought to you by Leonardo DiCaprio. Popcorn of course.May 28 Preparedness and Awareness Fair
11:00 to 16:00 Manson's Fire Hall #1
Display booths will be set up to make information available on how to prepare yourself, your family and your pets for an emergency. Special emphasis will be placed on neighbourhood preparedness. Included amongst the planned booths are:
- Strathcona Regional District Emergency Program
- Long term food storage – how to do it yourself
- CIRCLE – learn how to use Family Radio Service radios
(Cortes Island Radio Club and Learning Enterprise)
- BC Hydro – how we're powered!
- FireSmart – how to prepare your home against fire
- Coastal Community Credit Union – learn about insurance
- CKTZ – our local radio station
- CPR & First Aide demos
- Learn how to use a fire extinguisher Build your own emergency GRAB Bag
- Hamster Balls! Have a chance to roll around in a giant, human hamster ball!
More details on Kids Activities here: http://www.cortesisland.com/tideline/show9443a0x50y1z/Kids_Activities_and_FUN_DayMay 28 Chilli Cook-Off!!
12:00 to 14:00
Dedicated chilli cooks will share their creations in a chilli cook-off. There will be prizes for the chefs. Tickets available one week in advance for $10, or $12 on site with proceeds going to support the weekend efforts.