Community Articles
Go to Site Index See "Community Articles" main page
General News · 11th October 2015
Ester Strijbos
Ok, so there was a big screw up and most voters cards were wrong. We were told new ones are on their way. Well, they might be and arrive on time or they might not. Who knows. Of course it will be best case scenario if the cards come in time and you just bring the card with your id and vote.

But if they don't....; What we do know is that you don't actually need the card to vote. So here are some facts to hopefully make this clear.

To vote, you must be:
* a Canadian citizen,
*18 or over on election day,
* living at an address assigned to your polling station

• Voters must be registered/added to the voter’s list, but this can be done at the polls. You can also update VIC information at the poll.

To make it easier/save time on voting day, you can check/update/register ahead of time:

• The poll location on Cortes is at the Cortes Island School. You do not need a Voter Information Card to vote.
On October 19th the polling station will be open from 7 am until 7 pm

• Make sure you have valid ID: Your VIC (if it arrives on time) is not a valid piece of ID.

You must prove your identity and address to register and vote in a federal election. Here are your ID options when you are voting in person – at an Elections Canada office, at advance polls or on election day:

There are three options to prove your identity and address

1) Show one of these pieces of ID

your driver's licence
your provincial or territorial ID card
any other government card with your photo, name and current address


2) Show two pieces of ID

At least one must have your current address

health card
Canadian passport
birth certificate
certificate of Canadian citizenship
citizenship card
social insurance number card
Indian status card
band membership card
Métis card
card issued by an Inuit local authority
Canadian Forces identity card
Veterans Affairs health card
old age security card
hospital card
medical clinic card
label on a prescription container
identity bracelet issued by a hospital or long-term care facility
blood donor card
CNIB card
credit card
debit card
employee card
student identity card
public transportation card
library card
liquor identity card
parolee card
firearms licence
licence or card issued for fishing, trapping or hunting
utility bill (e.g. electricity; water; telecommunications services including telephone, cable or satellite)
bank statement
credit union statement
credit card statement
personal cheque
government statement of benefits
government cheque or cheque stub
pension plan statement
residential lease or sub-lease
mortgage contract or statement
income tax assessment
property tax assessment or evaluation
vehicle ownership
insurance certificate, policy or statement
correspondence issued by a school, college or university
letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
targeted revision form from Elections Canada to residents of long-term care facilities
letter of confirmation of residence from a First Nations band or reserve or an Inuit local authority
letter of confirmation of residence, letter of stay, admission form or statement of benefits from one of the following designated establishments:
student residence
seniors' residence
long-term care facility
soup kitchen


3) If your ID does not have your current address, take an oath

Show two pieces of ID with your name and have someone who knows you attest to your address. This person must show proof of identity and address, be registered in the same polling division, and attest for only one person.

Important information about ID
Your voter information card is not a piece of ID.
We accept pieces of ID in their original format. If your document was issued electronically, like an e-statement or an e-invoice, bring a printout or show it on a mobile device.
We accept different pieces of ID from the same source if the documents serve different purposes. For example, we accept an invoice and a transcript from the same school.
Your name and address must be printed on the ID. They can't be added by hand, unless they are added by the issuer of the document, like a residence administrator or a guardian.
We accept expired ID, as long as it has your name and current address.
The pieces of ID listed above are authorized by the Chief Electoral Officer. No other pieces will be accepted.
The pieces of ID required for a federal election are not the same as for provincial, territorial or municipal elections.

Need more info: