In this newsletter: Our Calendar for May / My Adventure at See / Scam Workshop / Ester and Carina at BaH conference / Seniors Society AGM /... and more
If you are a CISS member, you should be getting an email with the newsletter every first day of a month. If you cannot find it in your email box – check your spam or junk folder; if it is not there, inform Gina250-935-0080.
You are invited to join our Cortes Island Seniors Society if you are 55+. You can find more information about our programs by visiting our Tideline
page.CISS CALENDAR FOR MAY
This is gardening time. But if you need a break, try Body Toning (previously known as Jazzercise) or Carpet Bowling. Both activities in Manson's Hall. All welcome. Or join the Walking Group – meet in Manson's Hall parking lot.
Our AGM is coming May 31 – mark your calendars!Luncheons
Plans for May luncheons are under way. CISS members will be notified by email when a luncheon is confirmed. Call Carina6793 if you would like to come.
• Wednesdays, 12:30 p.m., locations TBAMeals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels (MoW), sponsored by Better at Home and available to CISS members who cannot or do not want to cook themselves, are scheduled for each Monday. You can pick up your lunch and have it delivered to your door. Please call Carina6793 if you are interested but not yet part of this program. Confirm your meal by Friday if you are not part of our regular schedule. In May, the program is in a transition phase as our regular cooks are not available. The first MoW, Monday 2, is cancelled. We hope to resume soon.
• Mondays (except May 2)Scam Workshop
• Thursday, May 12 – Manson's Hall, Pioneer Room, 10 to 11:30 p.m. Workshop sponsored by Seniors Helping Seniors and Better at Home (read more below)Some May Dates
• Sunday, May 1 – Trude's Birthday and Goodbye Party, 1 to 5 pm, Gorge
• Sunday, May 8 – Mother's Day
• Sunday, May 15, 9:11 p.m. – Full Moon and Total Lunar Eclipse
• Sunday, May 29 – Mae Sherwood's Memorial Gathering, at noon, Gorge HallBody Toning / Jazzercise
• Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 9 a.m., Manson's Hall. Call Ruth6478 or contact Victoria if you would like to come or for more information.Carpet Bowling
• Wednesday and Saturday, 1:30 p.m., Manson's Hall. Contact De0305 for more details, or just show up.Cortes Island Seniors Society AGM• CISS Annual General Meeting – Tuesday, May 31, 2 p.m., Manson's HallCommunity-Led Death Caring Collective
Margaret: We will continue our monthly meetings in September. Now, enjoy the summer! If you have any death related questions or needs, please don't hesitate to contact us, even on short notice: Margaret 250-204-3709 or Emma 250-208-4468.Friday Markets
• Every Friday, noon to 3 p.m., Manson's HallCortes Island Museum
• Spring Migration Bird Count – Saturday, May 7, the whole day
• Cortes Museum and Wild Cortes, Fridays and Saturdays, noon to 4 p.m.
• Reflecting Light, new exhibition in the main gallery, 957 Beasley Road
• Wild Cortes, new exhibition coming soon. Stay tunedWalking Group
The walking group meets every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9 a.m., Manson's Hall parking lot, for 30-min to one-hour walk. Followed by coffee. Coffee location – TBA.SCAM WORKSHOP
What is scam and how does it work?
Some scam is obvious, other less so.
Tommaso Biasiolo will tell you all about it: how you can recognize it on the phone and in your email, so that you can prevent losing money to scammers.
Thursday, May 12, Manson's Hall, Pioneer Room, 10:00 to 11:30 a.m.
It is appreciated if you sign up: call Carina6793 (workdays, between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.)
This event is sponsored by Seniors Helping Seniors and Better at Home.MY ADVENTURE AT SEA
Dianne Hansen wrote about her adventure at sea as a nineteen-year-old. Read the whole story in the attached pdf or in our online newsletter version (link provided below). You can learn more about Dianne by visiting Cortes Museum
website, or meet Dianne here: https://youtu.be/UWIp0CsmHicSENIORS HELPING SENIORS
Carina Verhoeve is coordinating the Seniors Helping Seniors program. Contact Carina (250-935-6793) with any questions regarding CISS, Better at Home program, seniors’ lunches, Meals on Wheels, Literary Afternoons, and other programs sponsored by the CISS. Respect Carina's hours: call Carina Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (unless emergency).
Did you know that Seniors Helping Seniors and Better at Home have a listing in the 2022 Cortes Phone Book? If you ever wonder where you can find Carina's work phone number, besides in this newsletter, you can find it under "S" and under "B."
Carina's husband appreciates it when you phone this number (250-935-6793) instead of their private numberCISS ON TIDELINE
CISS is now present on Tideline. Please check these two links (below), or just check Tideline periodically, and you will see CISS page in the dropdown of the Special Section top menu and in the revolving ads on the right-hand side.Special Sections
– dropdown from the top Tideline menu, contains also our own Tideline Calendar. This is where you can find our posts and our calendar – all in one place.Main Page
– this is where our main information is presented. You can also find it in the right-hand side revolving ads section.Interested in becoming a Better at Home client?
Call Carina 250-935-6793 (Monday–Friday, 10–5) or email Ester at betterathomecortesgmail.com for an intake form.
Any questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Carina and Ester attended recently a BaH conference in Vancouver. See picture attached to this post.
THIS AND MORE IN OUR FULL ONLINE https://mailchi.mp/54b9e30aa8bf/ciss-may-2022
Your current newsletter (PDF) is attached below; the electronic version is available here: CISS NEWSLETTER BY EMAIL
Email your comments to Gina at seniorscortesgmail.com or call Gina250-935-0080.