Summer 2021 Cortes Island Health Advisory for Travellers and Visitors from Cortes Health Centre Staff and Physicians
Cortes Island is a remote rural community and has very limited health care resources. During the COVID 19 pandemic, the Province of British Columbia has issued guidance and regulations for all primary health care providers.
We continue to offer care to Cortes Island residents, but our capacity to see travellers, visitors and summer residents is extremely limited.
We will continue to offer care for emergencies, with the support of volunteer First Responders and the BC Ambulance Service. All patients must be screened by telephone prior to any in-person appointments. Emergencies will be screened at the door prior to entry.
If you need routine care for ongoing or recurring conditions please call your family physician or the walk-in-clinic you would normally attend in your home community to arrange for a telehealth visit.
Remember, please stay safe and be kind. If you are coming to Cortes, you must come prepared:
● Know the phone number of your primary care provider and call them for all non-emergency care or prescription renewals.
● Ensure you bring ALL of your prescription medications with you in sufficient amounts.
● Bring a well-stocked emergency first aid kit and over-the-counter medications
● Stay safe and minimize accidents by not participating in high-risk activities.
● Before planning or embarking on a journey to any remote community please check and adhere to Provincial Travel Advisories. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/traveller-information/travel-affected-by-covid-19
● Get your Covid vaccination, and continue to follow Public Health guidelines for social distancing, mask use and hand hygiene http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/prevention-risks
● If you are symptomatic, please use the Covid-19 self-assessment tool: https://bc.thrive.health/covid19/en
Sincerely, Cortes Health Centre Staff and Physicians
Please call (250) 935-6718 if you have urgent care needs. The nurse or doctor will determine if you need to be seen in person. We are open weekdays from 9am to 4pm, excluding the noon lunch hour, and closed on weekends. Your health and well-being matters to us.