General News · 7th April 2021
We are open Mondays and Wednesdays from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. You’re allowed one bag or box per household of gently used clean items to donate.
A Message from The Free Store
We are pleased to announce our volunteers organized the Cortes Island Free Store and re-opened February 17th. We want our shoppers and donors to feel safe in every interaction they have with us, so we have taken all precautions in accordance with BCCDC health and safety guidelines to help ensure the well-being of our community and volunteers. Our primary responsibility is the safety, health, and well-being of our dedicated volunteers, shoppers, and donors. In compliance with health and safety protocols and the Comox Valley Regional District here is what we are doing to keep you safe while shopping and donating at the Free Store in the months ahead:
• Using a controlled point of entry and exit and limiting the number of people allowed in the store at one time.
• Wiping down high traffic touch points often.
• Sanitizing the store on a regular and ongoing basis.
• Requiring the use of masks by all patrons and volunteers.
• Following a quarantine protocol for all donated items
• Requiring Physical distancing
• Using hand sanitizer before entering and when leaving the store
We cannot be open the same days as the landfill/recycle centre.
When the Free Store is open there can be ABSOLUTELY NO GARBAGE DROP-OFF, NO RECYCLING, NO EXCEPTIONS.
When the Recycle Centre is open there can be ABSOLUTELY NO FREE STORE DROP-OFFS, NO EXCEPTIONS.
We will be open Mondays and Wednesdays from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. You’re allowed one bag or box per household of gently used clean items to donate. Nothing larger than what you can fit in a box or bag (no furniture, beds, tables, etc.). If you have donations, you’ll be asked to place them on the counter and a volunteer will store them in the back room to be quarantined for 48 hours. If you only want to donate and not shop you can leave your donations with a volunteer stationed at the front door. You are required to park down below and walk up the short hill to the Free Store. The only exception is if you are unable to manage the walk then we will allow you to drive up. There is a maximum of 4 shoppers allowed in the store at one time. If there is a line up, each person gets 15 minutes to shop. If you bring children inside, they must be at arm’s length at all times and the toy area is off limits for play.
Here is what we ask from you while you enjoy your shopping experience:
• Please wear a face mask and follow physical distancing measures including the use of directional markers on the floor to help guide you through the store.
• Use hand sanitizer when entering and exiting the store.
• Refrain from trying on any clothing while you’re browsing, and limit touching of all items as much as possible.
• Bring your own reusable bags.
• Don’t shop if you are feeling unwell or someone in your household has COVID-19.
• If it’s busy and there is a line up, please be mindful of your 15-minute shopping time.
• Please do not stay and socialize after you have shopped.
Thank you for your support – we can’t wait to see you back in the Free Store!