Happy Valentine's Day to all, and especially to CISS members. We accept anyone over 50, so join us! See Membership below.Walking Group
The walking group meets every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 9 a.m., Manson's Hall parking lot, for 30-min to one-hour walk, followed by coffee in the outside seating of the Co-op café. All – following COVID-19 restrictions.Mansons Hall Activities
Carpet bowling, jazzercise, chess, luncheons – on hold until allowed again by our Provincial Health Officer.Luncheons
Our luncheons are on hold due to COVID-19 restrictions. Take-out lunches are offered by Carie (February 9) and Toki Bap Café with pick-up in Manson's and Whaletown. Details/menu will be sent by email. Please call Carina to reserve your lunch.
Literary Afternoon is planned for Sunday, February 28, 2021. Location TBA.Folk U
Folk U Radio brings neighbours and their knowledge and the issues of importance to islanders to CKTZ Cortes Community Radio every Friday from 1 to 3 p.m., repeats Saturdays from 5 to 7 p.m. Call in with your questions or comments or send ideas, comments, or topics of interest to you to ufolku.ca anytime. Listen to past episodes anytime at folku.ca/podcasts.
• February 5 – Secret Societies with Brian Hayden
• February 12 – Love stories from the Cortes Island Museum
• February 19 – TBD with Hayley Newell
• February 26 – Currents Cafe: What is everyone talking about right now? Journalists share the headlines and neighbours discuss. Garden Club
Garden Club presents weekly talks on Zoom. If you would like more information or would like to be on the gardening club email list, send your request to seniorscortesgmail.com.
• Monday, February 1, 3:30 – BEYOND THE WAR ON INVASIVE SPECIES with Tao Orion, a gardening guru from Oregon
• Monday, February 1, 7:00 – GARDENING WITH CHILDREN
• Monday, February 8, 3:30 – COMPOSTING MADE EASY
• Monday, February 15, 3:30 – GABBING ABOUT GARDENING with Morag Gamble
• Monday, February 22, 3:30 – ALL THINGS ROSES including ROSES & COMPANION PLANTINGCortes Island Museum
• Main Gallery, 957 Beasley Road, regular winter hours are Friday and Saturday, noon to 4 p.m. We are closed the first week of February due to the heightened COVID-19 provincial restrictions. We hope to be open on Friday, February 12 and onwards.
• Wild Cortes at Linnaea Education Centre, with its tight exhibit area, is now temporarily closed due to COVID-19 restrictions.CATHARINE BUSHE
Catharine, our member and past CISS board member, died peacefully on Sunday, January 12. You can read more here:https://www.cortesisland.com/tideline/show13418a/In_Memoriam_Catharine_BushePARAPROSDOKIANS
Paraprosdokians are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and is frequently humorous. (Sir Winston Churchill loved them.) Here are just a few examples. If you want to read a few more, check our February Newsletter.
• Where there’s a will, I want to be in it.
• The last thing I want to do is hurt you ...but it’s still on my list.
Want to know more? Check our February Newsletter (pdf attached below)NEED COMPUTER HELP
Call TECHspert – Clio250-202-3219, email: cliostechgmail.comSENIORS HELPING SENIORS
Carina Verhoeve is the coordinator for Seniors Helping Seniors. She may be contacted Monday to Friday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 250-935-6793. Please respect Carina's days and hours when calling unless it is an emergency. Contact Carina about seniors' lunches, seniors' meals, masks, and more.MEMBERSHIP
Have up updated your membership? Would you like to join us? The more members we have, the more we can do to help our neighbours on Cortes, and the better impression we can make when we approach governments over concerns or apply for housing or other grants. Our dues remain at a reasonable $10 per person. You can access the membership form here: http://bit.ly/ciss-membership-form***********************************
Your current newsletter is attached below.
Email your comments to Gina at seniorscortesgmail.com.
If you are a CISS member, you should be getting an email with the newsletter.
If you cannot find it in your email – check your spam or junk folder; if it is not there, call Gina250-935-0080.
You can read and subscribe to our newsletter-by-email here: http://mailchi.mp/d03322617f64/ciss-february-2021