Our CISS calendar starts filling up! The best news – our AGM is coming on Tuesday, July 7, at 1:00 P.M. in the main hall at Manson’s. We will set up chairs six feet apart to provide social distancing. The meeting will be followed by refreshments and socializing. All are asked to respect the COVID-19 guidelines for safe interaction. I look forward to seeing you there. - by Sue, CISS President
More good news! Luncheons are back. Outdoor, respecting social distancing. See the calendar below.
Many of you will be watching the developments at the seniors' village. Construction of two self-contained units and one duplex is well underway.
Just to give all a heads up:
• The first requirement to be eligible for a subsidized unit will be a registration with BC Housing.
We have been advised that they will not be ready to receive these applications until September. Their forms are quite long and require a lot of financial information. We will make these forms available to those waiting for a cottage when we are given the go-ahead.
The CISS residency committee will still be the organization to make the selection of tenants. There have been no changes in the occupancy of our original six cottages. - update by Sue, CISS President
CALENDAR FOR JULYCISS Annual General Meeting (AGM)
• Tuesday, July 7, 1:00 p.m., Manson's Hall Walking Group
The walking group meets every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 9 a.m., Manson's Hall parking lot, for 30-min to one-hour walk, followed by coffee in the Co-op café outside seating. Respecting social distancing.CISS Group Picnics/Luncheons
Lunches are back! Please RSVP Carina 6793 if planning to come. As we need to respect social distancing, the number of participants will be restricted.
• Wednesdays – weather permitting, starting at 12:30 (new time), location TBA (you will be notified by email)Misty Isles Cruise to Mitlenatch Island
• Saturday, July 25, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 250-935-6756 to book your spot. Respecting social distancingRe-opening!
• Cortes Island Museum, Mansons, re-opening July 1, 10 – 4, every day except Mondays
• Craft Shop Co-op, Squirrel Cove, re-opening July 3, 11 – 4, every day except Mondays
• Hollyhock, re-opening July 5Outdoor Markets
Outdoor markets are back. Respecting social distancing.
• Fridays, Manson's Hall, noon to 2 p.m.
• Saturdays, Gorge Marina by the pond, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.Folk U – Every Friday
• Folk University has taken Folk U Friday talks to Cortes Community Radio, CKTZ 89.5 FM, or listen live
Smelt Bay Outdoor Hatha Yoga
• Sundays, noon to 1:30 p.m., with Jennifer McLeish-Lewis, Smelt Bay, weather permitted, $5-20 suggested donation, respecting social distancing
Annmarie's masks are still available. For free! Call Carina6793 if you would like to get a pair.
Nassau is offering computer "geek" assistance with retrofitting old computers to use "open source" operating systems and software – a more resilient platform especially for older machines that are otherwise dysfunctional.
Call Carina6793 if you are interested.
If you have not renewed your membership, please do so now. The more members we have, the more we can do to help our neighbours on Cortes, and the better impression we can make when we approach governments over concerns or apply for housing or other grants. Our dues remain at a reasonable $10 per person.
If you have not updated your membership, please do it now. Membership form included here as an attachment.
Our cover photo is the sugar stick plant also known by these common names: sugarstick, sugar-stick, candystriped allotropa, and barber's pole. The pictures were taken in June, at the side of the road towards Manson's Lagoon.
If you are a member of CISS but are not receiving our newsletter by email https://bit.ly/CISSJuly2020News
, check your email trash can. If you cannot find it anywhere, call Gina0080.
membership form (pdf)
newsletter (pdf), also here: https://bit.ly/july2020news