Cortes Island Health Advisory for Travelers & Visitors
Cortes Island is a remote rural community and has very limited health care resources. During the COVID 19 pandemic, the Province of British Columbia and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC have issued guidance and regulations for all primary health care providers.
We continue to offer care to Cortes Island residents, but our capacity to see travelers, visitors and summer residents is extremely limited
We will continue to offer care for true emergencies, with the support of volunteer First Responders and the BC Ambulance Service.
ALL patients must be screened by telephone prior to any in person appointments. Please do not show up at the clinic expecting to be seen, without talking to us first.
Remember, please stay safe and be kind. If you are coming to Cortes, you must come prepared:
● Know the phone number of your primary care provider and call them for all non-emergency care or prescriptions renewals.
● Ensure you bring ALL of your prescription medications with you in sufficient amounts.
● Bring a well-stocked emergency first aid kit and over the counter medications.
● Stay safe and minimize accidents by not participating in high risk activities.
● Before planning or embarking on a journey to any remote community please check and adhere to Provincial Travel Advisories. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/traveller-information/travel-affected-by-covid-19
● Ensure that your rental accommodation is using the recommended enhanced cleaning Protocols.
● Follow the Ministry of Health guidelines for social distancing http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/prevention-risks/physical-distancing
and and hand hygiene http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/prevention-risks/hand-washing
● If you are symptomatic, please use the Covid-19 self-assessment tool before travelling at: https://bc.thrive.health/covid19/en Sincerely, Cortes Health Centre Staff and Physicians
Please call (250) 935-6718 if you have any health concerns. The nurse or doctor will determine if you need to be seen in person. We are open weekdays from 9am to 4pm, excluding the noon lunch hour and closed on weekends.
Your health and well-being matters to us.