Would you like to join the Cortes Island Seniors Society (CISS)? You qualify if you are over 50. Now is the chance to get your membership and come to our Christmas Dinner. This annual event, very popular and elegant, is held in the Manson's Hall. It features an excellent, fully served meal, bring-your-own wine, gift exchange (optional), carol singing, and more.
See the dinner/membership form attached below in a pdf format.CHRISTMAS DINNER
CISS Christmas Dinner is on Saturday, December 14, Manson's Hall, door opens 5:30 p.m., dinner starts at 6:30 p.m. More details and dinner form – attached below (pdf attachment).CHRISTMAS CENTREPIECES AND SWAGS
Yes, we are making them again – Monday, December 16, 1 – 3 p.m. in Manson’s Hall.
Half of our creations will be sold, and the other half will be gifted to the seniors who might appreciate this attention when life has been particularly challenging.
If you are creative and like working together while listening to Christmas music and having tea and coffee and cookies, join us. You will see the results in just a few hours.
This year, we are going to use natural moss instead of floral foam (Oasis) for environmental reasons. We will also make swags for doors outside.
Would you like to join us? If you wish you can get some instructions. Please bring your own clippers. Contact Carina (250-935-6793), if you are planning on coming.
Some of you will be asked to drop off a couple of swags or centrepieces as gifts to other seniors on your way home.
Would you like to buy one? Contact Carina a.s.a.p. for ordering and pre-paying ($15 per piece).
Pick up is on the same day–Monday, December 16, between 2:30 and 3 p.m., in Manson’s Hall. swag – an ornamental arrangement of flowers, leaves or fruit LUNCHES
We have four lunches in December, all start at noon:
• Wednesday, December 4 – Raven Farm
• Wednesday, December 11 – Norah & Jerry's, 398 Smelt Bay Road
• Wednesday, December 18 – Linnaea Farm
• Monday, December 30 – Co-op Cafe
Contact Carina (250-935-6793, Monday–Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.), if you would like to come to any of our lunches or for more information.LITERARY AFTERNOONS
Our next event will be in January 2020.
Contact Carina, if you would like to read your work at one of these events. These popular events are organized by Seniors Helping Seniors in partnership with the Cortes Museum. CHRISTMAS MARKETS
• Christmas Craft Fair, Mansons – Saturday, November 30, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
• Whaletown Christmas Bazaar – Saturday, December 7, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT (CBC)
• Saturday, December 28, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This event is organized by the Cortes Island Museum with Birds Canada and Audubon Society. It is the 120th Christmas Bird Count. All participants must register–call the Cortes Island Museum or email cimastwincomm.ca. See the Museum's website, www.cortesmuseum.ca
, for more information.OTHER ACTIVITIES
• Jazzercize – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, at 9 a.m., Manson's Hall; Contact Ruth6478
• Carpet Bowling – Thursdays, at 1:15 p.m. (looking for bowlers!); Contact De0305
• School Chess – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 12 to 1 p.m.; Contact Bobo0194
• Stitch in Public – Thursday, December 5, 10 a.m., at the Museum; Contact Helene Racine
• Isle Sing – done for the year, see you in 2020
• FolkU – Fridays, check Tideline calendar for last-minute updates (see also more information below under separate heading)COMMUNITY PARAMEDIC
• December 5 – Community Paramedic, Kim Robertson, will be providing CPR/AED training, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m., Manson’s Hall- Pioneer room.
• December 13 – Folk First Aid will be caring for Circulation Emergencies: Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease. Signs and Symptoms of a Heart Attack or Stroke and How to Control Life-Threatening Bleeding; Linnaea. 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.DIY HOME FUNERALS
Margaret Verschuur is putting together a group of people to help with DIY Home Funerals on Cortes Island. Those interested in getting involved, interested in creating a green cemetery section of our existing cemeteries, or being involved with a will-writing group – may contact Margaret at margaret.verschuurgmail.com as all three of these groups are starting to form now. Click here for our electronic newsletter
CISS calendar of events attached below.