Cortes Island ferry is turning 50 this November. It qualifies for CISS membership!
Are you a CISS member? We accept anyone who is 50 or better, with perks coming from the membership. Contact seniorscortesgmail.com for more information.
If you would like to read the newspaper articles from 50 years ago, published in The Campbell River / Upper Islander on November 26, 1969, check our pdf newsletter, attached below. Also, drop in to the Cortes Museum at the end of November, for a mini-exhibit related to the Cortes Island ferry.Ginnie Ellingsen
Our beloved Ginnie Ellingsen passed away at home on October 14, surrounded by family and a few close friends. There will be a Graveside Service for Ginnie at Manson's Cemetery on Saturday, November 2, at 10:30 a.m. A Celebration of Life will follow immediately at Manson's Hall at 12 noon.Charles Crossland
So much loved by many in our community, Charles Crossland became Cortes Island Seniors Society member in September 2019. A celebration of his life will be held at Manson's Hall at 6 p.m. on Saturday, November 2.Lunches
We have four lunches in November, all start at noon:
• Thursday, November 7 – Gerri and George, 1084 Freeman Road
• Wednesday, November 13 – Raven Farm, 478 Manson Road
• Tuesday, November 19 – Pioneer Room, Manson's Hall
• Tuesday, November 26 – Pioneer Room, Manson's Hall
Contact Carina (250-935-6793, Monday–Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.) if you would like to come to any of our lunches or for more information.OASES IN AN ANTARCTIC DESERT
• Saturday, November 9, 1:30 p.m. Manson's Hall. OASES IN AN ANTARCTIC DESERT, an illustrated talk by Rachael Morgan-Kiss, sponsored by the Cortes Island Museum.
When Dr. Morgan-Kiss takes time from her busy work schedule, she enjoys Cortes Island and visiting her parents Roy and Celia Jensen.Literary Afternoons
• Sunday, November 24 – the second Literary Afternoon of this season.
Our readers, also the January and February event dates, will be announced later.
Contact Carina (250-935-6793, Monday–Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.), if you would like to read your work at one of these events. These popular events are organized by Seniors Helping Seniors with the Cortes Island Museum.Other Activities
• Jazzercize – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, at 9 a.m., Manson's Hall; Contact Ruth6478
• Carpet Bowling – Wednesdays, at 1:15 p.m. (looking for bowlers!); Contact De0305
• School Chess – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 12 to 1 p.m.; Contact Bobo0194
• Isle Sing – Wednesdays, 7–8:30 p.m., Cortes School Library, drop-ins welcome; Contact Dayna
• FolkU – Fridays, check Tideline calendar for last-minute updates
• Group Art Show — THANKSGIVING LEFTOVERS
Showing at the Co-op cafe from November 4 till November 30
ART OPENING–NOVEMBER 3, from 4 to 7 p.m.!!Cortes Island DeathCaring Collective
Cortes DeathCaring Collective, in partnership with FolkU, invites you to the following events at the Linnaea Education Centre, on Fridays at 1 p.m. (message from Margaret Verschuur):
• November 8 – End of Life Planning
• November 15 – Do-It-Yourself Funerals
• November 22 – How death is viewed through cultures and time
• November 29 – Climate Grief
• November 15–17 – Grief Tending Circle with Laurence Cole
See also our electronic newsletter
for more information.