• Category 2 open burns will be prohibited throughout the Coastal Fire Centre's jurisdiction to reduce wildfire risks and protect public safety as of noon Pacific time on Thursday, May 30, 2019.
This prohibition will remain in effect until the public is otherwise notified. A map of the affected areas is available online: http://ow.ly/zfKi30oPRTu
Specifically, this prohibition applies to:
• The burning of any material (piled or unpiled) smaller than two metres high and three metres wide;
• The burning of stubble or grass over an area less than 2,000 square metres;
• The use of fireworks, firecrackers, sky lanterns, burning barrels or burning cages of any
size or description; and
• The use of binary exploding targets (e.g., for rifle target practice).
The prohibition applies to all public and private land unless specified otherwise - for example, in a local government bylaw. Check with local government authorities for any other restrictions before lighting any fire.
The prohibition does not apply to larger Category 3 fires or to campfires that are a half-metre high by a half-metre wide or smaller, or to cooking stoves that use gas, propane or briquettes. A poster explaining the different categories of open burning is available online at: www.gov.bc.ca/openfireregs