General News · 5th October 2018
A big round of applause for the less touted Cortes Island facilities appropriate for all and sundry community activities:
- our Public School library space, kitchen, and gym are available for social events and youth and adult recreation; the large field out back accommodates various sports; the gym is at times the major polling station for Elections.
For the safety of students and the community in times of Emergency evacuation the building has recently been upgraded and reinforced at great cost.
- Linnaea School Building has several choice rooms of various sizes for classes, meetings, festive celebrations, plus a sizeable kitchen.
Located roughly in the center of the island and equidistant travelling time for most islanders.
it houses the comfortable and quiet Vancouver Island Library/VIRL.
- Linnaea Farm, a major source of fresh produce and meat hosts an annual Power of Hope/ PoH youth summer camp.
- Hollyhock lodge with a large kitchen is often available for community and private functions.
- Klahoose Multi Purpose Building extends to the community use of it's first class facilities - a well equipped gym and showers, and spacious bright hall with a sizeable kitchen. It easily accommodates the popular annual CIFFA Pancake Breakfast fundraiser for our Fire Department. The big hall also acts as a Polling Station during Elections.
The building's skookum structure makes it ideal to accommodate Emergency evacuations.
Whew! All in all, how lucky are we to be able to choose and enjoy so many facilities on one small island.
As winter outdoor events go when many residents head south, Jack's pond at Manson's and the lakes frozen hard are a thrill for all ages of skaters. Where you might see a different part of the community night or day, warming by fireside, roasting wienies. Don't forget a life line. Clear the ice. Anyone for shinny?
It's the time of year when salmon run and leaves change. I love the magnificent colours in Squirrel Cove these days.
Happy Thanksgiving weekend!