The Cortes Local Economic Action Plan Steering Committee invites you to attend a Community Forum Saturday Feb 24, 10am – 4pm at the Klahoose Multipurpose Building.
The goal of the Cortes Local Economic Action Plan (LEAP) is to foster community and economic development through citizen engagement and planning. We are taking the Official Community Plan’s strategic vision, building on the multitude of ideas generated at our 2015 Economic Development Forum, weaving it with your further input gathered over the last year and building it into a local Economic Action Plan.
In April last year, we launched this project at an event at Linnaea where we gathered your insights and high-level context-setting ideas. Over the summer 230 of you completed our survey and others joined us for a series of focus group discussions. The survey results can be found here:http://cibata.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Cortes_Island_LEAP_Results_Oct_2017-Condensed-1.pdf
We are now working on pulling together your input, and bringing draft recommended strategies & actions for your review.
Here are five focus areas and goals we have identified for development:
• A local island economy – an economically stable, self reliant and financially resilient island community
• Our visitors – a tourism industry that supports our local economy and our island way of life, and respects our natural environment
• Our Resource Industries – the resource industry, including increasing value-added opportunities is strong and sustainable
• Our Social Sector – a strong social sector supports community well-being and a strong economy
• Our Small and Local Businesses – small, home based and local businesses are stable and supported
We invite you to join us at our community forum to hear some stories from other successful communities, review community input and work through recommended action steps.
We aim to release our final report and action recommendations later this Spring.
Thanks to all of you who have already participated in one way or another. Please Join Us again for the February 24th Forum!
Lunch provided – Suggested donation $10.
Childcare available – donations to costs appreciated.