Community Articles
Go to Site Index See "Community Articles" main page
General News · 18th January 2018
Amanda Glickman
A tree has come down across the driveway and you can't get out. You need help. Not life or death, but you need gas for your generator. The snow has drifted and it's going to take you an hour to hike over to your neighbour's.

Only when we lose communications do we appreciate how valuable telephone and Internet are. So what do we do when these go down?

There's a very simple solution. FRS/GMRS radio. These radios are license free and require minimal training to use. They have a reasonable range (line of site, so a few miles will do it) and many channels and subchannels to chose from. Best yet, they can be purchased for as little as $50/pair, a little more for additional features such as weather channels, built in flashlight, etc.

A little bit of coordination with your neighbours is all that is necessary - chose a channel and know what channels other areas are using. Know where your local Amateur Radio operator is... if they're monitoring your FRS channel, they have the ability to contact off island resources such as Campbell River, or get a message to BC Ambulance.

A greater plan is in place for Strathcona Regional District that can connect emergency communicators on Cortes Island with Campbell River, who can then contact the provincial emergency centres.

Stay tuned for an Emergency Communications Orientation to be scheduled in the near future, where we will outline the Strathcona Regional District and Cortes Island emergency communications plans, and how you can help be prepared.

If you're interested in learning more, please contact Amanda and Barry Glickman.
Stay in touch
Comment by Lella Gmeiner on 18th January 2018
Thanks for all your great community education and outreach! Please keep me posted on upcoming info opportunities! And a belated Happy Birthday to you Amanda!