Cortes Literacy Now is happy to welcome our new LOC, Melissa Flagg. She will be working with the Literacy Task Group on all upcoming literacy programming.
In the last year we've had some great programming:
• Three adult writing workshops offered (Writing Prompts, Poetry, and Memoir Writing)
• 2013 Young Writer’s Prize creative writing contest held and two $100 cash prizes awarded, with 2014’s wrapping up soon!
• Funded an off-island trip for local teens to Strathcona Park, with a focus on navigational literacy (in partnership with CCHA)
• Skills for Effective Grassroots Groups Workshop, provided by PeerNet BC with a grant from Learning Initiatives for Rural and Northern BC
• How to Read Music Workshop Series (Rhythm, Voice / Sight-singing, Guitar, Keyboard / Piano)
• Funded the additional “Crafternoons” day for the CCHA Kids in Action program – this will also run this coming year
• Funded the Simplicity Parenting Discussion Group, in partnership with CCHA
• Contributed to the funding of the Cortes WiFi Society’s digital literacy programs
• Oceans & Arts youth programming (in partnership with Friends of Cortes Island)
For this year we've got an author reading tour coming up, as well as more Oceans & Arts youth programming. We've also helped to fund an intergenerational Reel Youth program, and the digital literacy programming that the WiFi Society provides. The Crafternoons youth programming still has some funds available, so expect to see more Crafternooning in the works, as well!
We'd love to hear your suggestions, ideas, and feedback, and you can still reach out via the same email address: cortesliteracygmail.com. You can also find us on Facebook under the name "Cortes Lit."
Cortes Literacy Now provides enrichment programs that further personal, community and literacy development. We address essential life skills and promote lifelong learning on our rural island, while striving to meet the particular needs of the ever-changing Cortes community. We are proud to collaborate with other local organizations to provide diverse programming to engage the residents of Cortes Island.
For more information on literacy, please check out http://www.decoda.ca
Thanks for all of your great community support!