Small change for Quadra Ferry Schedule = Big difference to Cortes travelling times.
As I posted the ferry survey article for Paul Ryan, I received a comment right away: "This makes no difference for Cortes Islanders, it's the Quadra Schedule". I decided to take a closer look and to take the survey. So I am looking at the schedule, trying to figure out how the cuts impact us on Cortes. First glance: not very much. But while I am having my lunch, the longer I look at it, the more it appears to have quite a few small changes that will make a big difference to our travelling times.
BC Ferries Option (below) is different
from the Province Option (Elimination of the last round trip Sunday to Thursday, and the last two round trips on Fridays and Saturdays year-round, which is huge for Quadra Island residents).BC Ferry Option One
- Creates 1/2 hr waiting time on Quadra for travellers from Cortes to CR in the afternoons./early evening.
- The 2:30 connecting ferry from CR does not run. If you want to be on the 3:05 to Cortes you have to catch the 1:30 and wait one hour and 15 min.
- It changes the schedule from leaving CR on the .30 to .00 in the afternoons, meaning no connecting ferries: we will have to wait 45 minutes in Heriot Bay.
- The 6:15 from CR is gone as well, so your last ferry from CR is now 20 minutes earlier at 5:55BC Ferry Option Two
- It cuts the 2:30 connecting ferry from CR.
- Changes dangerous cargo from QCove to CR from 4:00 to the 5:00 ferry , which is our connecting ferry if you were on the 4:05 leaving Cortes. That means you will have to wait until 6:00
- The 6:15 from CR changed to 6:25, so your last ferry from CR is now at 5:30 unless the last Cortes Ferry run gets delayed by 10 minutes.Another Option
There is another option you can choose when you take the survey, which is "Province Schedule". This would mean (at this time) there is no mid day cut and no time changes, but our neighbours on Quadra loose the last round trip Sunday to Thursday, and the last two round trips on Fridays and Saturdays year-round which is a huge cut in service for Quadra Island residents.
Or don't choose any of the above and just write your comments. There is a place right below the three options so you can say you don't want any cuts and all the other things you want to say, but I am not sure if anyone will read them.
I sm sure I have missed a few things: have a look yourself and take the survey: At the bottom of this webpage, you can find the Survey Link.http://www.bcferries.com/about/publicconsultation2/2014_service_Level_adjustments/schedule_options_rt23.htmlFrom the website:
Quadra Island - Campbell River (Route 23) Schedule Options
Summary of Province option:
Elimination of the last round trip Sunday to Thursday, and the last two round trips on Fridays and Saturdays year-round.
Summary of how BC Ferries schedule option differs from the Province option:
Insert a 30 minute mid-day gap in the operating day allowing for later last sailing
Changes PM sailing times from 'on the hour' to 'on the half hour'
OPTION 2 **
Insert a 60 minute mid-day gap in the operating day to allow for later last sailing
Keeps PM sailing times 'on the hour'
Note: the survey will ask you to select a desired schedule option