Dear Friends & Neighbours,
Our 31st season was an exceptional year and we have a tremendous amount to be thankful for. We thank you,
the Cortes Community, our staff, presenters, donors, volunteers, local businesses, guests, and friends. When you come to walk through the garden, attend a presenter evening, eat a meal, participate in our scholarship program, bring your friends, buy a gift in the store, or enjoy fabulous bodywork, you support us. Your engagement and contribution is beyond measure. Here are some of the things we’re proud to celebrate this year:
• 334 scholarships were awarded, including 21 granted to Cortes Islanders.
• 45 Presenter Evenings were offered to the Cortes Island community. With 1891 attendees, we raised $7,230 in support of our Cortes Islander Scholarship Fund.
• We welcomed Dennis Marriott, our new Operations Director, to Cortes and our team.
• Seniors’ Lunches welcomed 20-30 guests, monthly throughout the season.
• Our 2nd cookbook, Hollyhock Garden to Table
, was on the BC Books bestsellers list for four consecutive months.
• Our new Electric Vehicle Charging Station is installed and operational.
• Special Events included an evening in concert with Snatam Kaur, and Loveland, a play performed by critically-acclaimed writer/performer Ann Randolph.
As our dedicated year-round staff continue to work their magic right through the winter, we’re busily preparing for our next season. Our new catalogue will be hitting shelves in mid-January, and all 2014 programs are now LIVE on our website
. 2014’s Cortes Campus program line-up is as dynamic and leading-edge as ever.
• Stephen Jenkinson, Orphan Wisdom School
• Jessica Hepburn, Makers Retreat
• Dorian Baxter, Finding Your Inner Elvis
• Social Change Institute
• Miriam Mason Martineau & Stephan Martineau, Parenting as a Spiritual Practice
Look online to learn about our Vancouver programs
. We’d love to share some of the feedback we’ve received this year:“Hollyhock should be declared a world heritage site”
_Tim Feetham, Dreamtime Didjeridoo“Friendliest and most helpful on-site staff”
_Wendy C., Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy Training“The most inspiring, catalyzing, magical community I have ever found”
_Julia Pope, Social Change InstituteOn behalf of all of us at Hollyhock, we wish you and your loved ones happy holidays.
Dana Bass Solomon, CEO