Marnie Andrews & Krista Ma will host the second Cortes Salon discussion on Friday 28 May 2010, 7 pm at the Teen Szene upstairs at Manson’s Hall. Reclining and wining still encouraged. Our first Salon on 'culture' was a nine-bottles midnight success. This topic on learning and schooling is very serious but non coercive. Come if you are interested in learning. Snacks are welcome. Donations to help with costs.
The topic this month will be: Learning, Non Coercive Education and Unschoolers. We will discuss learning for children and adults, what ‘free’ schools teach, why non coercive education works and what grown up unschoolers think of it. In today’s changing cultural and economic reality, are we (both kids and adults) equipped with the skills for the future? What are those skills? Bring your questions, thoughts and concerns about schooling and engage in an open minded, mind-opening discussion.
Preparation and reading suggestions:
1. Sudbury Valley School at www.sudburyvalleyschool.com
2. Free at Last, Sudbury Valley School Experience
3. Growing Without Schooling, by John Holt
4. Instead of Education, by John Holt
5. Teenage Liberation Handbook
6. Dumbing Us Down, by John Taylor Galto
7. Weapons of Mass Instruction, by John Taylor Galto
Salons are for learning, exploring and exchange of new ideas with hopes of evolving our own views. Everyone who is interested in hearing what others have to say and in having their own ideas challenged is welcome.
1. Each person should speak for a maximum of 3-5 minutes at a time to allow for input from others. Keep your comments clear and succinct.
2. Talk about your own ideas, not how others should think or where they are 'wrong'.
3. Participate with a questioning mind. Listen with respect and an ear to learn something new.