Community Articles
Go to Site Index See "Community Articles" main page
General News · 26th November 2018
Charlene Lo
Dear Cortes Community.

Thank you for coming to our Cortes Coffee House on Saturday. It was an amazing line-up of talent, musicians and entertainment. We loved hosting you.

Unfortunately, some people reported feeling some strange symptoms after eating some of the food brought to the potluck. The symptoms included: numb lips, dry throat, increased heart rate, and feeling “woozy” coming in “waves.”

We have not been able to definitively say what may have caused these reactions, but our best hypothesis is someone may have wild foraged some ingredients - possibly mushrooms - in their potluck dish. Some people even have an adverse reaction to pine mushrooms, which of course are supposed to be fine to eat.

We’d like to encourage anyone still feeling some residual reaction to get checked out at the health clinic or call the paramedics. And for future potlucks (at this event or any others!) please be very certain of your ingredients, and their origins (no wild mushrooms please!) - and clearly mark what is in your dish when it is placed on a communal table. We always provide pen/paper for this.

We are really sorry to anyone not feeling well - please take care of yourselves and each other.
*If you think you may have inadvertently put something in your dish - please contact me at charlenehollyhock.ca - no blame, no shame. The common dish seems to be the chicken curry or kale mushroom salad. We are working with the health clinic to determine specific ingredients so they may properly care for people, so please be in touch if you have any further info.

With gratitude,
Charlene & the Coffee House organizers